Powering the Future

TckTckTck Climate Guide Powering the Future - Solutions

We cannot continue to burn our way to prosperity. The only way to minimize the risks of dangerous climate change is by ensuring that energy is sustainable. We need an energy revolution. We need energy not only to be universal, [we] need it to be clean, to be sustainable.                                                              – Ban Ki-moon

Climate change presents one of the greatest challenges that has ever faced human civilization, but we have some very good news. Not only are the solutions to available today, but implementing them now will save us billions of dollars in energy costs, while improving the health and wellbeing of generations to come.

The key is Energy — how we make it and where we waste it. Right now, more than 62% of ALL carbon pollution comes from our energy use & transportation (see below). This pollution, referred to as CO2e (carbon dioxide equivalents) is heating up the atmosphere and causing severe impacts like extreme weather and drought. But it can be reversed.

total Global CO2 emissions TckTckTck Climate Change

The solution is two-fold: First, reducing energy consumption through energy efficiency measures. And second, replacing fossil fuel sources of energy — like coal, oil, and natural gas — with clean, renewable energy sources like solar power and wind power. The latest research shows that by 2050, we could in fact reduce 95% of our carbon pollution from the energy sector by adopting these and other measures:

Greenpeace Energy (r)evolution Climate CO2 Savings
Courtesy Greenpeace International, 2010

Tzeporah Berman, author of This Crazy Time, explains how it all works in this introductory video to the Greenpeace Energy [R]evolution report (PDF):

So the good news is the biggest global warming culprit — fossil fuel energy — can be replaced with clean energy alternatives and energy efficiency measures in time to stave off the worst impacts of climate change. This would account for close to 60% mitigation of our total annual CO2e emissions. But what about the other 40%?

It’s clear in the above chart that sustainable land use is also key. Agriculture* and Land Use changes (in particular deforestation) are together responsible for another 31% of total carbon pollution. So it is critical that we create sustainable development pathways that will protect “carbon sinks” like tropical forests while providing healthier, less resource-intensive ways to produce food for the planet’s 7 billion people.

Learn about specific climate solutions and get related news by clicking on the links below:

* Note: pollution from agriculture directly accounts for approximately 13% of total CO2e emissions, but when one factors in land use changes for agricultural purposes (clearing forests to make crop lands), processing, packaging and shipping of food, the number could be considerably higher.

For a more detailed accounting of World Greenhouse Gas Emissions see the report by the World Resources Institute report (PDF) based on 2005 data. Click to enlarge:

WRI CAIT 2005 data Total World Greenhouse Gas Emissions CO2e


Related Stories

Record renewables powering communities across Europe

The clean energy revolution is here, it’s here to stay and it’s growing in momentum. Across Europe, this week, renewable energy capacity smashed records, as generation of clean energy outstripped that of dirty fossil fuels.

Read more »

UK wind energy surge sees renewables out strip coal

While the UK is cleaning up after being lashed by the remnants of Hurricane Bertha, which brought summer flooding and travel disruption, the storms brought a boost to the country’s wind industry, with output hitting near record highs.

Read more »

From Jamaica to the Netherlands: 5 examples of renewable energy’s growing momentum

From Jamaica to the Netherlands 2014 has gotten off to a roaring start highlighting renewable energy’s growing momentum across the globe.

Read more »

India to explore its northern deserts for new solar sites

A new study ordered by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy will explore renewable energy potential in some of the country’s deserts.

Read more »

400 solar PV projects registered in Brazil energy auction

Solar energy is on the rise in Brazil as the country's latest national energy auction attracted 400 applications for PV plant development.

Read more »

New online platform tackles Indonesia’s forest fires

A new online platform aims to help the Indonesian government respond to the threat of wildfires and prevent the situation from escalating further

Read more »

Ugandan youth share wisdom beyond years at climate change conference

School-aged Ugandan delegates are embracing their role as young leaders, sharing reflections on the ongoing impacts of climate change at the International Children's Climate Change Conference.

Read more »