Earth Day is a day for action as we look to reinvigorate the wider social and environmental movement. A Positive Energy Party will allow people to get out and start doing something; rally, march, protest, vote, petition to create a groundswell of support – both locally and globally – for access to clean energy solutions and a demand for change that no politician will be able to ignore. Your event is crucial in helping give new dynamics to the environmental movement in preparation of Rio+20, and will also help us achieve A Billion Acts of Green® by June to handover at the Summit.
Develop your own Positive Energy Party or use one of the ideas listed below! Most importantly, make sure you do something that is engaging and that you enjoy; we want people to get excited about promoting renewable energy! Different ideas work for different audiences, so pick your favorite or – even better – develop your own ideas, because you know your audience best.
- Host a Positive Energy lecture. Invite a local expert to speak with individuals, families or students on best strategies to use safe and clean energy – how it works, how to get access, how to save money.
- Gather for a Positive Energy picnic. Celebrate renewable energy by hosting a party that uses clean energy. Organize outside and cook local and sustainable food over a fire or with a solar oven.
- Host a Positive Energy Protest. Have people congregate outside of their local elected official office and demand more access to and political incentives for renewable energy resources.
- Stage a Positive Energy gig. Have a local band play Positive Energy Party tunes on acoustic instruments. Invite friends, colleagues, and neighbors for a “Sun Dance” at a local bar, pub, or community space.
- Organize Positive Energy installations. Work with your local renewable energy provider to organize a volunteer task force to help install renewable energy technologies on Earth Day
- Meet for Positive Energy story-telling. Have locals join in and share theirexperiences with lifestyle changes geared at energy savings and promoting renewable energy in their homes, offices, or schools.
- “Call” for Positive Energy action. Gather with phones and start calling elected officials to lobby for renewable energy. Encourage local politicians to sign a Rio+20 Proclamation aligning your city behind a global sustainable development treaty.
- Empower Positive Energy switchers. Invite suppliers of renewable power to explain any tax breaks or incentives that people can benefit from when they switch from traditional energy sources to renewable power in the home or place of business.
- Host a Positive Energy workout. Organize an Earth Day run or bike through town and make sure the work-out is completely carbon neutral. Carry the Renewable Energy for All message across your community and hand out information material.
- Play Positive Energy games. Sustainability BINGO or Climate Charades could engage children or senior citizens in your events. Or give the stage to the local theatre group, party clown or puppet theatre for a funny and educational performance.
Download the Toolkit
Download the full toolkit [PDF] for more ideas, tips on how to hold a successful event and photo suggestions.
If you want to know more, please contact Manish Joshi, TckTckTck Partnership Director.
There are no comments yet. Why not be the first to speak your mind.
About the AuthorTckTckTck is the online hub for the Global Call for Climate Action. The GCCA represents an unprecedented alliance of more than 400 nonprofit organizations from around the world. Our shared mission is to mobilize civil society and galvanize public support to ensure a safe climate future for people and nature, to promote the low-carbon transition of our economies, and to accelerate the adaptation efforts in communities already affected by climate change.
View Author Profile